3D printed Magnets and The Magnetic Gear

First check this video out, watch it, understand it, internalize it. It's badass and the potential uses could be game changing although I can't really wrap my brain around it enough to come up with practical uses.


At first I was thinking about using this technology to create magnetic gears. But apparently this has already been done. Pretty nifty stuff though.

Not sure why these aren't more widely seen.  I'm pretty sure that or something like it is what is behind current electric vehicle designs and wind turbines. 3D printing the magnetic gears could vastly increase the availability of the technology.

So after enough research there isn't really anything I could contribute from my armchair...


But there is a wacky part! What if we could 3D print spherical magnets with polarity quadrants? A quick and dirty picture to illustrate:
It would essentially create a magnetic ball baring. Pretty curious if this could be done and provided it could how it would behave and what practical uses it would have.


Comments

Popular Posts